Saturday, January 19, 2013

English Genes?

I have had a couple of good runs this week, including a nice, crisp, hilly six miler this morning, but my favorite by far was a short four miler that I did on Thursday....

The weather could only be described as miserable!   Foggy, cold and raining.  I normally love running in the rain, but I will admit to not having been at all enthusiastic about this one.  I sucked it up, got layered up and headed out.  I walked the first five minutes or so and did some dynamic stretching before I started running.

What was going on?  I suddenly felt light on my feet and soon had a good knee lift and a nice tempo going.  I felt good!  I haven't felt this good on a run for ages - how I wish running felt this way every time!   To make things even better, I ran some of the trails in the Barton's Creek neighborhood and they were wet, muddy, slippery and generally "gnarly".  In many places water was running across the trail like a river.   This was awesome!   I splashed and slipped my way around (very muddy shoes and running pants by the time I got home) and think I had a sh#t-eating grin the whole way.

Why was this?  I felt fine out there this morning, but nothing like as light on my feet as I was on Thursday.  I really don't have a good answer, but I'm going to attribute it to the weather and being English.   It seems to me that weather is like this:



I run like this:



But when the weather is like this:



I run like this:



Well, OK, maybe not quite like that!  But you get the idea!

Weird......

No comments:

Post a Comment