Monday, October 1, 2012

Small Victories.......

The pool that I usually swim at (Optimist, Raleigh) is closed for maintenance until mid October. so today I headed to the nearby Millbrook Exchange pool for a straightforward 2800 yard "recovery swim".  Maybe it was the time of day; maybe it was because Optimist was closed or maybe it was because Millbrook High School had a load of lanes blocked off, but whatever the reason, it was unusually busy today.....

I have never particularly enjoyed sharing a swim lane, primarily because I am usually concerned about being slow or getting in someone's way.  It has been quite a while since I have had to but today was different....

When I arrived at the pool I was fortunate that a lady was just finishing her swim, so I took her lane.   Within just a couple of minutes, however, a guy asked if he could join me.   "Of course"...      To be honest, he wasn't much of a swimmer and, because I was doing a lot of drills, we agreed to keep to our own side of the lane rather than "cycle".   No big deal and the guy didn't last long.

As soon as he left, however, a very fit looking lady asked if she could share the lane.  Again, "of course"...

This time the lady was putting-in some pretty good freestyle  and churning out the laps, but......   what the heck...     I was the one constantly swimming up on her!   She was apologizing to me for swimming slowly!  Yeah!   Maybe I'm not so slow after all!

Not exactly qualifying for Kona, but it made me happy!

Could have been worse I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment