Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cary Duathlon - Race Report

On the morning of Saturday April 9th my alarm was set early for the Cary Duathlon.  It was later that evening that I headed across the Atlantic for a two and a half week stint in Europe and I'm only now catching-up with a race report....

I took part in the short course event, which comprised a 2.5 mile run; 17.5 mile bike and a second 2.5 mile run.  Details at:  http://fsseries.com/index.php?action=event&event_id=49

After a breakfast of bagel/cream cheese, a banana, one Ensure and coffee I got to Brooks Park in plenty of time and scored a good parking spot close to the start and transition area.  The morning was significantly chillier than forecast and overcast.  A slight drizzle appeared a couple of times.  I soon had my bike off the car, checked my tires and walked it over to the transition area.  Race number this time was 63 and after checking-in, collecting my "race booty" (a nice shirt and socks included) and allowing the nice lady to write all over me at body marking, I found my appointed rack, set-up my transition area and found myself another warm cup of coffee!

After chatting for a while with some of the folks from IOS Delta Triathlon I was accosted by a very nice lady from USA Triathlon who was there to monitor the event and look for ways of improving things.  I had a really nice chat about getting into triathlon at my age; races I have done; training and all manner of other things.  Later I also ran into Lili Fernandez and her Mom Angie and had another nice chat - Lili went on to smoke her age group and finish a very impressive third overall woman!

Finally it was time to get serious and I found some space to "get my mind in the game" and do the stretching execrises and warm-up prescribed by the Puppeteer and soon after that we were lined-up at the start.

The out-and-back run course ran through Brooks Park and an adjoining neighborhood and featured a few hills.  I felt that my first run went well and I finished it in 20:46.5, which is 8:19 pace and reasonably respectable.   The first transition went well and I was soon wheeling the bike out of the transition area.  Bike shoes were attached to the pedals and the shoes held-up so that they didn't scrape the ground using a rubber band.  I find this by far the easiest way to transition (vs. putting on your shoes; hobbling through the transition area and then clipping-in) and The Puppeteer approves - apparently a lot of much more experienced triathletes don't use this technique.

The bike was a rolling course through western Wake County close to Jordan Lake.   I felt good and passed a few people fairly quickly, but was equally passed by several "speed demons" on a range of fancy triathlon bikes.  Kept things spinning at a good cadence so as not to blow out my legs and finished in 58:48 (18.0 mph average) which, again, I feel was respectable. 

The second transition was also OK (although I very neary started running with my bike helmet still on - realised just in time - phew!  Would have looked pretty stupid!  :-)   ).

The Puppeteer suggested that my second run should be within 45 seconds of my first.  I could tell that it was slower, but was actually surprised to find out how much.  Time was 22:33.5 (9:02 pace) - about 1:45 slower than the first.   I don't feel that I "thrashed" the bike leg, but presumably it was enough to take something out of my legs.

Some kind soul snapped this pic. of me struggling to the finish!

My overall time was  1:43:32.5, which was good enough for 35th overall in the mens division.  Yet again the 50-54 age group was competitive and I was 5th in my age group.   Impressively the top guy in the age group finished second overall in a time of 1:24:38.3 - I still have a lot of work to do!

At the bottom of the post is how I stacked-up vs. the guys who beat me in my age group:

Basically, the good guys were good in all disciplines and in order to compete with the "speedsters" I would have to improve significantly in both run and bike.  The run pace of the guy who finished second overall was 6:21 - difficult to conceive at this point!  That said, my running is improving and I'm very confident that with more "TITS" (time in the saddle) I will be able to push my bike pace up quite considerably.
One minor victory that I hope makes coach proud is my 6th ranking in the first transition - must have been the shoes on the bike!

Overall a nice event and a good warm-up for the events to come.  Next up is the White Lake II Sprint Triathlon on May 15th.

Overall
Place
Age
Run 1
Rank
Run 1
T1
Rank
T1
Bike
Rank
Bike
T2
Rank
T2
Run 2
Rank
Run
Total
Time
2nd
54
5
15:51.6
1
0:27
3
51:10.7
1
0:21
4
15:37.4
1:24:38
7th
51
11
17:37.4
11
0:48
6
51:57.2
10
0:39
13
18:53.2
1:29:54
16th
52
20
18:46.6
29
1:03
14
54.13.6
31
0:59
22
20:09.2
1:35:10
31st
52
23
19:13.7
7
0.39
32
59:28.3
17
0:46
24
20:44.7
1:40:51
Me
51
35
20:46.5
6
0.38
31
58:48.0
19
0:48
36
22:33.5
1:43:32


No comments:

Post a Comment