Wednesday, December 12, 2012

A blast from the past....

While my "triathlon swim" has only really taken good shape over this past season, I learned to swim at a very young age and have always enjoyed being in the water.

This picture surfaced recently....


This picture was taken circa 1968 and that splashing mess in the pool is apparently me!   The occasion was the opening of the new, outdoor, unheated pool at Parkfield County Primary School in Taunton, Somerset, UK.   I was selected as one of the first kids to get in and swim a couple of laps.   As you can see in the picture, it was a rainy day and I vividly remember the water being FREAKIN' COLD!!!

The pool was covered a couple of years later, but when I left to go to "the big school" in 1971 it still wasn't heated.   I also very clearly remember the Edwardian era municipal town pool in which I learned to swim......    the ugly brick building, the tiled pool, the stench of chlorine and the antiquated changing facilities were enough to put any kid off swimming for life!   Thankfully the town opened a new pool complex in the mid 70s, but believe it or not the original pool is still in use!   I found this photo on the web....


How I remember our neighbors' Dad taking us swimming every Wednesday night and going through that door.   I wonder if the fish and chip shop up the road is still open?

No comments:

Post a Comment