Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Products I Like: Nuun Tablets

I thought that I might occasionally give "props" to products that I like.  I will only do this if and when I have used a product for a good while and can genuinely "endorse" it. 

We all know (I think) that it's important to stay properly hydrated, not only if working out or undertaking exercise, but also in every day life.  There's a good general article here:  http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/nutrition/hydration.html

I have historically not been particularly great at drinking water.  A good deal of my liquid intake used to come from coffee, alcohol etc. (thankfully I have never been a big soda drinker!).  Given the rigors of the plan the The Puppeteer is putting together, I knew that it was important that I start to take in more fluids.  I started pouring glasses of water at work, but they would often remain "un-drunk" for hours.  Then I discovered Nuun Tablets.  http://www.nuun.com/#/?exn=whatisnuun


Nuun tablets are electrolyte tablets that rapidly dissolve in water.  They are lightly flavored (or flavoured for my Brit friends) and also gently effervesce, giving the water a slight fizz.  Sold in tubes of 12 tablets, they are formulated to provide the correct osmolarity for rapid absorption.  They are not a sports drink as they contain a careful balance of electrolytes but no carbohydrates.   For each tablet dissolved in 16 oz water (~8 calories), the components are:


Active Ingredientslevel (mg)
Sodium (carbonates)360.0
Potassium (bicarbonate) 100.0
Calcium (carbonate) 12.5
Magnesium (sulfate) 25.0
Vitamin C37.5
Vitamin B2500mcg

Other ingredients: citric acid, sorbitol, sodium carbonate, natural colors flavors, sodium bicarbonate, potassium bicarbonate, polyethylene glycol, magnesium sulfate, sodium benzoate, calcium carbonate, acesulfame potassium, riboflavin-5-phosphate.

Available flavors are:  Kona Cola, Bannana, Citrus, Lemon-Lime, Triberry and Orange.  I can only vouch for the last three, but all taste good to me.  I have a slight preference for the lemon-lime and orange over the triberry.  Don't expect a "taste explosion" - these are all very light flavors when dissolved.  Just enough, in my opinion, to make the water more interesting.  There's also a more exotic "natural hydration" line. but my understanding is that these are not formulated the same way.  The flavors sound interesting though!


The bottom line is that since I have discovered these babies I have been drinking a lot more water and tend to have my water bottle with me most of the time.  Every little helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment