Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sunny Days & Equipment Malfunctions



What a difference a week makes!   As noted in my previous post, last Sunday I headed out for a 50 mile ride in freezing mist and drizzle and its was completely and utterly miserable.  There's no doubt that getting drenched and chilled to the bone didn't help my "man flu"!

Falls Lake looked like this:


One week later and I set out this morning on much the same route on an absolutely glorious late January North Carolina morning.    Still a bit chilly (34 F when I left and 44 when I got back) so I wrapped-up warmly, but the sky was a clear Carolina blue with not a cloud in sight. 

Thats more like it!


I stopped at around half way for a quick drink and clipped out of my pedals.    Uh oh.....     Ummmm.....I'm pretty sure that's not meant to happen!:


The cleat on my left shoe broke, leaving half of it attached to the pedal!  

There wasn't much to do but keep going at that point.   I left things as they were and found that if I "wiggled around for a while" I could get the two parts of the broken cleat to marry-up sufficiently well that pedaling felt pretty secure and I made it home safely.

The good news is that I have a spare set of Speedplay Snap Road Cleats which came with the new pedals that I put on The Slut, so I'll just put them on my shoes later.

The Puppeteer called for a "gentle" ride, so I took it pretty easy and it felt good out there.   No issues at all with my calf and breathing wasn't too bad after my bout of Man Flu.    I'm happy and yet again grateful to be living in a part of the world where we can ride outside in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment