Thursday, December 9, 2010

Malham Moor, Yorkshire Dales, UK

I have spent this week at a management retreat in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales in the UK.  The Puppeteer knew I was going and that there would be no gym, no pool and about 10" of snow on the ground, so my workouts this week were modified accordingly.  I was hoping to get a couple of runs in, but the roads were very icy, even when cleared of snow, so I enjoyed two hikes of about five miles each around Malham Tarn (a shallow glacial lake) and some stretching exercizes from Mark Verstegen's Core Performance book (http://www.coreperformance.com/).

The scenery was magnificent!

Too icy for a run!


The frozen tarn
At this point I did start to wonder if I was going in the right direction!......

                                                     ....but I ran into some local ladies who showed me the way:


A few ancient farmhouses dot the landscape


Including the one I stayed at: High Trenhouse. 
Definitely somewhere to get away from everyday work!

These guys outnumber humans by a considerable number!

Also saw some amazing wildlife including a short eared owl;
fallow deer; pheasants; a merlin (I think!); some ravens
and an enormous number of rabbits.


Ah well, back to reality...  another swim workout scheduled for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment